Strongman Eats: Sweet Potatoes
Article by Robert Lira
Sweet potatoes are a staple in pretty much every strength athlete’s diet. They are a great source of carbs and taste pretty good. As with all foods, it is very easy to get caught up with preparing them the exact same way every time they are cooked. After all, a person can only eat so many baked sweet potatoes in their life. To help break up the monotony, I present to you a very easy recipe that I have been cooking a lot lately.
Before we get into the recipe, I want to thank my wife for prepping everything while I was cooking and playing with my daughter (I was barely cooking and mostly drawing funny pictures on the sidewalk and laughing with the little one). Also, as with everything I write, feel free to experiment with different ingredients and flavors. This is cooking, not math. Food doesn’t have “1 right answer”.
3+ lbs of Sweet Potatoes
Cayenne Pepper (optional)
1. Pre-Heat Oven to 350oF/177oC
WARNING: Setting the heat too high may cause the sugars in the syrup to burn. I like this setting because you can roast the potatoes without worrying too much about the burning.
2. Wash and Dice Potatoes into even sized cubes. Evenly place them on the cookie sheet
3. Smash and peel garlic. Do not dice them.
4. If you are using shallots, cut, peel and dice them.
5. Add syrup, garlic, shallots, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to sweet potatoes.
6. Mix all the ingredients together so that potatoes are coated evenly with mixture.
7. Place cookie sheet in oven and bake for 30-45 minutes. Cooking time will depend on sweet potato size and roast preference.
Let me know if you have other oven roasted sweet potato variations. Until next time: EAT!
Robert Lira is a strongman competitor and MAS wrestler for team USA with a background in
powerlifting. Being a part-time coach at a local Crossfit gym, he has also participated in functional fitness
(Crossfit-like) competitions. His current aspirations are to earn a spot to compete on the National and,
ultimately, International strongman stages. Follow Robert’s training on Instagram & Facebook
Discuss this post in the Forum
Sign up for the Newsletter and receive a free training program HERE